Wellington Community Church has a long and joyful history. Our roots call all the way back to the roots of the town of Wellington.
In 1899 a Methodist minister started a Union Sunday School in the schoolhouse located one mile northwest of where the town of Wellington later was settled. Each month people came from all around to hear ministers of different denominations preach.
Then, in 1904 the town of Wellington was laid out and by the end of 1905 the town enjoyed both a Methodist and a Congregational church (the Congregational Church built our current building in 1907). A few years later, a Baptist church was established in town.
By 1915 a problem was evident: Wellington had 500 residents and three empty churches.
Around this time people considered the problem of too many churches and remembered successful the Union Sunday School. Soon the churches began talking about combining the three churches into one and thoughts of a union or federation of the three churches began. The term “federated” referred to the union of churches from different denominations. This was a common practice in the early 1900's, especially in the western states.
So after several meetings, on September 17, 1915 they adopted the "Articles of Organization of the Wellington Federated Church." The WFC church board consisted of nine members representing five Christian denominations. To avoid any suspicion of denominational favoritism, the board decided to try to call a Presbyterian as pastor, since there were only two or three Presbyterians in the community and none on the board.
The first services of the Federated Church were held on September 19, 1915 at the Congregational Church building. The Bible School had 6 teachers and 49 members. Rev. R.H. Barr., Ph.D., a Presbyterian, preached his first sermon on October 3, 1915. Soon after, 140 people were attending Sunday School and 200 members were enrolled. This growth was directly attributed to Rev. Barr who, on his bicycle, thoroughly canvassed the country, over and over again, inviting or pleading with people to come to church. Mrs. Barr went house to house with the same mission. Their faithful efforts successful established the church here in Wellington and it has continued going strong ever since.
In 1941 the church steeple was taken down because it had been struck by lightning. In 1958 the basement was excavated under the already standing church and the west part of the church was rebuilt. By 1994 the gym, a 2-story building with classrooms, kitchen and a youth activity room was completed. Eventually, in 2004 we changed our name to "Wellington Community Church."
Throughout it’s history, WCC has played a significant role in the life of the town of Wellington. On most weeks, our church building hosts local Boy Scouts and 4-H Clubs. Many events throughout the year are held at our church, including the Channel 9 Health Clinic, the Wellington Food Bank, and various outreaches. We seek to love the community as well as the church family. We praise God for what He has done in our past and we look forward to what He will do in our future!